“Sustainability is not a trend, but a way of life that we embrace to help preserve our future.”
- Mayor Keith Summey
- Landscape trimmings are recycled into mulch.
- A program to recycle our banners into reusable tote bags has recently been established.
- Recycling bins are placed around the facility for the collection of plastic and paper.
- We recycle used batteries, oil, ballasts, fluorescent light bulbs, aerosol cans, glass, metal, wood pallets, ink cartridges, and cooking grease.
- Compactors are available to all clients at no additional cost.
Energy Efficiency Initiatives
- We have engaged in re-lamping with T-8 fluorescent lights and electronic ballasts.
- Lower wattage fluorescent lighting has been installed in many areas throughout our buildings.
- Sensory lighting systems are used in the back-of-house.
- LED exit signs and compact fluorescent fixtures (CFL) are used in our buildings.
- We make use of natural light throughout our pre-function areas.
- We have installed energy efficient chillers and variable frequency drives.
- We use electric and/or compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles and cleaning equipment.
- lighting systems are manually controlled and set at only 25% during non-event hours.
- Low E grade glass has been installed to help maintain the temperature within our buildings.
Water Conservation Initiatives
- Timed water-flow sinks have been installed in the Coliseum.
- We landscape with native vegetation which allows for reduced used of irrigation and pesticides while also helping to control rainwater runoff.
Air Quality Initiatives
- A bus stop at the campus conveniently serves the Charleston Area.
- Our campus is located near hotels, shopping areas, and restaurants, making it easy for patrons to walk to and from the facility.
- Our housekeeping and custodial staff use micro-fiber cloths and vacuums with HEPA filters.
- Excess food supplies from Centerplate and from annual food shows are donated to a local food bank.
- Used cooking oil is converted into biodiesel.
- Centerplate uses environmentally friendly food and beverage containers.
- Centerplate serves beer, wine, and liquor produced by local companies to support Charleston businesses.
- Our staff is continuously involved in local anti-litter campaigns such as Adopt-A-Highway, Palmetto Pride, and North Charleston Clean Cities Sweeps.
- "Green" office supplies and products are purchased whenever possible.
- Employees produce and distribute paperless reports.
- Our on-site staff is responsible for opening and closing all doors.
- All staff is asked to use their own coffee and beverage cups rather than using paper or plastic cups provided by the facility.